Now that I am once again strict gluten free I couldn’t stand by and watch the kids devour the spelt cookies. So I reinvented them to be gluten free. Brilliant idea as I hide mine and don’t share with anyone. 🙂
They are delicious and keep extremely well. I personally think the coconut oil has made making gluten free cookies so successful as in the past they have been crumbly dismal failures. Read more about the benefits of coconut oil at the Go Vita Nowra blog.
I have added ground up pepitas as I wanted to up the nutrition in the biscuits, as our school is nut free seeds are the next best thing in adding protein and nutrition. Pepitas are the inside of a pumpkin seed and are a lovely green colour. Nutritionally they pack a punch, they contain protein, lots of minerals and are especially high in zinc and magnesium. Two very important minerals for humans … Zinc is imperative for a healthy immune system and magnesium is used extensively in the nervous system.
Please use organic cranberries as conventional ones are soaked in sugar and preservative. Organic cranberries contain no preservatives and are sweetened in apple juice, a much better compromise as far as I am concerned.
Gluten Free Cranberry Cookies
35g organic pepitas
140g organic coconut oil
180g organic coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
200g organic white rice flour
90g organic tapioca flour
1 teaspoon Bobs Red Mill baking powder
pinch sea salt
120g organic dried cranberries
2. Combine coconut oil and coconut sugar. TM 10sec / 6
3. Add remaining ingredients (except cranberries) to the coconut oil mix. Also add ground pepitas. Combine well TM 10sec / 6
4. Add cranberries and combine. TM 6 sec / reverse / 4
5. Scoop dessertspoonful of mix and place onto a bake paper covered cookie tray. Continue for all the mix.
5. Allow plenty of space as they flatten and grow as they cook!
6. Bake in a 180oC oven for 10mins
Cool before removing from tray as they are easily broken when hot.