I do love a good biscuit and recently I have been on a crusade to reinvent the old fashioned biscuits. Over the years I have tried making biscuits with varying success, most often they fall apart and when kids are your critics they have to be good. They also have to stand up to the jostling of the lunchbox to school.
These were my first experiment away from butter and cane sugar and they were a hit! The kids love them! I then played with this recipe to make gluten free for me.
Using coconut oil means we are avoiding eating too much butter and using an oil that has so many benefits to the body. Coconut oil is amazing and I have written more about it on the Go Vita Nowra blog.
I have added ground up pepitas as I wanted to up the nutrition in the biscuits, as our school is nut free seeds are the next best thing in adding protein and nutrition. Pepitas are the inside of a pumpkin seed and are a lovely green colour. Nutritionally they pack a punch, they contain protein, lots of minerals and are especially high in zinc and magnesium. Two very important minerals for humans … Zinc is imperative for a healthy immune system and magnesium is used extensively in the nervous system.
Please use organic cranberries as conventional ones are soaked in sugar and preservative. Organic cranberries contain no preservatives and are sweetened in apple juice, a much better compromise as far as I am concerned.
Spelt Cranberry Cookies
180g coconut oil
180g coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
290g organic white spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch sea salt
120g organic dried cranberries
2. Combine coconut oil and coconut sugar. TM 10sec / 6
3. Add remaining ingredients (except cranberries) to the coconut oil mix. Also add ground pepitas. Combine well TM 10sec / 6
4. Add cranberries and combine. TM 6 sec / reverse / 4
5. Using damp hands roll dessertspoonful of mix into a ball. Continue for all the mix.
5. Place on a baking tray covered with bake paper. Allow plenty of space as they flatten and grow as they cook!
6. Bake in a 180oC oven for 10mins
Cool before removing from tray as they are easily broken when hot.